Sunday, April 7, 2013

Beauty in the Breakdown/Being A Friend/Supportive

Hey all!

Sorry I haven't really updated everyone in a while. It's been hectic at my house with all the stuff that we're doing to fix up the house while someone is here. We ended up having to take out the internet router to paint my room and pretty much all of upstairs so that's why I wasn't able to write at all yesterday!

Just a quick update on me physically: The swelling is still present. My mom and I have decided it has gone down somewhere between 33%-45% but it's mostly on the right side of my face because that's where they made the incision to move my jaw. I was also really dizzy yesterday and I had a MASSIVE headache and I wasn't very happy and managed to have a little breakdown of my own. It's definitely frustrating when I can't eat what I wish I could eat and it's also frustrating when nobody can understand what the heck I'm saying. This surgery definitely makes things difficult on you but it's all about keeping your eye set on the end of the tunnel. 

So I thought I'd make a little post about what it means to have a friend or people being supportive throughout this surgery. I have to admit, there are times when I'm so thankful to have my family with me through this, as my best friend moved away about a month ago. Since then, I have not taken the time to make a new one because I've never been social but I still keep in touch with my best friend, obviously. 

The one thing I noticed though, was that whenever anybody has decided to make fun of the fact I can't talk very well or something I'm not exactly very happy about it. I mean, why wouldn't I? You try going through six hours of surgery and then get back to me. 

I'm usually pretty independent as I've said before in previous posts and a lot of people say I'm really good with taking the heat with things and just 'rolling with the punches' but that doesn't mean what people say don't get to me. I think that goes for everyone, actually. 

All I'm saying is that if you know of anybody who will be going through this surgery or is going through the recovery process, it would probably be appreciative if you would be supportive as you can. I mean, that doesn't mean I wish people would say, "Dang girl, you look hot now!" as I know that's not true but giving me words of wisdom always helps or when people say that things are going to get better is always helpful. I don't like it when people say, "I'm so sorry," and I hate it when people who usually would never give a flying f*** about me tend to ask me what happened to my face. It doesn't help because I'd rather not talk at all, let alone to someone like that and even then, it sounds rude. Just know that something happened and all you have to do is treat me like you normally would . . . I would much rather go back to how things were pre-op than people to act differently because they feel sorry for me just because they knew I went through this type of surgery.

Having relationships in this surgery is always helpful. (I'm talking having people in your life . . . not like having a boyfriend/girlfriend, by the way). It lets me know that I'm not going through this alone and that if I'm struggling to cope with this surgery then I can 'talk' to people about it and know that they'll be listening to me and helping me get through this. That's all that matters. Especially when I've read that some people have gone through an amount of depression when people go through this surgery.

For those of you reading this who are in the same boat as me, I wish you all a speedy recovery that goes really well without any bumps in the road. I also hope that your results come out really, really well and you are happy with your new smile! Stay positive and things will get better in no time. (:

Quotes:

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” 
― William Shakespeare

“Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend.” 
― Sarah DessenSomeone Like You

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” 
― Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment