Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Meaning of Being Beautiful

I thought as I was up being a little contemplative, I'd write about what I thought of what it means to be beautiful. I think a lot of us confuse beautiful and pretty and handsome and attractive. Do the really mean the same thing?

I don't know. Let's look it up. 

Attractive:

adjective
1.
providing pleasure or delight, especially in appearance or manner; pleasing; charming; alluring: anattractive personality.
2.
arousing interest or engaging one's thought, consideration, etc.: an attractive idea; an attractive price.
3.
having the quality of attracting.


Pretty:

adjective
1.
pleasing or attractive to the eye, as by delicacy or gracefulness: a pretty face.
2.
(of things, places, etc.) pleasing to the eye, especially without grandeur.
3.
pleasing to the ear: a pretty tune.
4.
pleasing to the mind or aesthetic taste: He writes pretty little stories.
5.
(often used ironically) fine; grand: This is a pretty mess!


Beautiful:



adjective
1.
having beautypossessing qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about,etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.
2.
excellent of its kind: a beautiful putt on the seventh hole; The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef.
3.
wonderful; very pleasing or satisfying.


Beauty:

noun, plural beau·ties.
1.
the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind,whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, soundetc.), a meaningful design orpattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).
2.
a beautiful person, especially a woman.
3.
a beautiful thing, as a work of art or a building.
4.
Often, beauties. something that is beautiful in nature or in some natural or artificial environment.
5.
an individually pleasing or beautiful quality; gracecharm: a vivid blue area that is the one real beauty ofthe painting.







Now, because I'm going to go off the first definition, I've noticed that the first two both specifically say in appearance while the last one, beauty and beautiful have anything to do with sensory . . . so sight, sound, smell, thought, and touch. 

I've always been someone who said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", especially because, well not only have I never considered myself as the most beautiful person in the world, but also as I thought about it, I really did think being beautiful had to do with everything in something/someone and not just someone's appearance. 

When I think of a beautiful person, I think of girls in my school who are both physically beautiful and has inner beauty--someone who treats others with respect, someone who is honest and loyal, someone who is grounded and down to earth.

Now, I thought I'd touch upon this subject only because a lot of people, apparently, thought this type of surgery was an aesthetic type of surgery (meaning it pertains to beauty) which I think is rather ironic. Since people thought of it as an aesthetic surgery, some insurances wouldn't cover it or whatever, but what's weird, is people probably wan to do this surgery for other reasons. I don't know how to explain it, but it's weird to think about it.

As the date of my surgery was growing closer and closer, I noticed that I didn't want to do it to make myself feel beautiful. I wanted to do it so I'd have a bite that would make it easier to sing and to play the clarinet. I wanted to be able to breathe through my nose. And as I thought about it, I felt like some people wanted me to have the surgery so I would look better. I wasn't very happy about it. Actually, as I thought about it, I resented this surgery more and more. 

If being beautiful was that much more important to me, I'd be willing to spend money to change my looks. Yes? Well, turns out, this surgery is both aesthetic and not aesthetic. I'm so dang excited to get all of this pain over with so I can enjoy my new speech. Actually, to even get to the part where I'm going to be more 'beautiful' I honestly have to look horrible and feel worse. I'm a swollen chipmunk right now, I'm bleeding, my breathe is gross, and I have a temporary fu manchu because of the stupid gauze I have to have on my face. 

At the end of the day, I'd rather be known for my knowledge and my compassion instead of how pretty I was. Also, if beauty wasn't at the eye of the beholder then we'd all think that the same person was beautiful. I get that a lot of people think the same person is attractive. For girls, it can be anywhere from George Clooney to Taylor Lautner to Justin Bieber to Channing Tatum. They're all different, yes? And I'd have to admit that I don't think two of those people are attractive, even though I know a lot of people think these people are attractive. 

Also, as I'm still thinking, I've thought about the title of my blog. Pain is Beauty. I chose that because being beautiful can have it's hardships to it, and I mean all aspects of being beautiful. When people are beautiful, there's always something that comes with it, a burden. People always expect you to be beautiful. There's always a cost to any good thing. People's expectation always drown down people. At the end of the day, no matter what you have to work for, there's always going to be a struggle--pain. But the beautiful thing about that (hah!) is people feel so much better after all of that. The struggle is what makes things worth while.

Now for one of my ALL-TIME favorite quotes I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot):

“For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
 For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
 For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
 For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
 For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. 
 People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
 As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others.” 








No comments:

Post a Comment