Sunday, April 21, 2013


I thought I'd do a check-up on everything with you all as I'm now a little past three weeks post-operation. 

Pain: 1/10 if not 2/10 on some occasions.
Swelling: I'd say at least 50% gone.
Numbness: I still can't feel the majority of my face but I know some of my sensations are coming back. I can feel below left eye, which I couldn't before. I can also feel whenever I'm touching my face. My right side is still the most numb and so is my upper lip. Or rather, the area right above it. My nose is still numb but not 100% numb. I don't think anything is 100% numb, but it's still not 50% gone.
Diet: I've eaten anything from blended up hamburger, beef stroganoff (my mom makes it with rice and she really crushed the meat up), blended up chicken salad, pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, the usual mashed potatoes (probably my go-to dish), yogurt, shakes, applesauce, brownies (in little bites), and all sorts of pasta (spaghetti, alfredo, and macaroni & cheese [given, I cut them up or smashed them up and they were a little overcooked]). I think what a lot of people, they don't want to eat their old food blended up because of the texture. I've come to say, it all goes to the same place and I want my nutrition. If I have to suffer through weird stuff then I'll deal with it.
Weight: I've lost about 12 pounds!
My smile: I think it's really awkward because when I smile, thinks are really tight and confusing. Luckily, everything lined up with my teeth so now I'm just waiting to be able to truly smile.
Bleeding/Breathing: So my doctor said I shouldn't be blowing my nose . . . but I should be using my netty pot. But let's be honest, I don't use that sucker at all because it sucks. So what I've done is taken people's advice and used q-tips and my saline spray. I've been able to breathe a little better and the bleeding is no longer there like it was all of last week. So whoopee for that!
My speech: I'm able to say things a lot clearer, according to my family. I think I'm having more issues with the mucus that's stuck in my throat to be able to talk than I am with my splint. My mom finally noticed that the doctors had put in stuff over my top teeth. Why? I have no idea. I guess it helps keep them in place?

I think that's about it! (: I think it's nuts to think that the next time I'll be seeing my doctor, I'll be a day past five weeks post-op! Wow, time does sure go by. Fingers crossed, things will continue to progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment